Wednesday, April 8, 2009

So there has been more talk about death

This morning in the car TBM brought up death again.

She went through her normal thing of telling us that Frederick died, and that daddy took Frederick away and he died. Then she added in a new element. She said that Frederick lay on the floor and then daddy took him away and he died. So she's remembering how he was sleeping all the time and pretty weak.

Then she brought the other cats into it. "Kess didn't die. Earl didn't die!". And we assured her they were still young and it was unlikely that they would die any time soon. To which she replied "When they not young, daddy take them away and they die?"

o_o

And before we could respond she asked "Daddy take me away and I die?"...

I really didn't know what to say to that. But I told her that she was very unlikely to die soon, and when she did, daddy wouldn't take her away. I told her we'd probably call an ambulance or something and then steered the conversation towards the fact that animals and people are different. And then, because she is still just 2 she said:

"When I'm an animal daddy will take me to the zoo!!!"...

A fun ending to a heavy conversation. I'm not really sure what to do with the death talk. I know she's working through it, and it's her first exposure to death. But, she's only 2. It's really weird and morbid to hear her talk about daddy taking her away and her dieing.

No comments: